Moroccan pumpkin soup
- 1/4 cup 60ml olive oil
- 1 leek white part only, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 red birdseye chilli finely chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cm piece ginger peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 carrots peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1.5 kg butternut or Queensland blue pumpkin peeled, seeded (see note), cut into 3cm pieces
- 1/3 cup 70g yellow split peas
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Coriander sprigs and soup sprinkles to serve
Heat oil in a large saucepan over low-medium heat and cook leek, garlic and 2 tsp salt, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes or until soft. Add chilli, cinnamon, ginger and cumin and stir for 1 minute or until fragrant. Add carrots, pumpkin and split peas. Stir to coat in onion mixture.
Add 1.5 litres water to saucepan and bring to the boil, then simmer for 50 minutes or until split peas are soft.
Remove and discard cinnamon stick from soup. Add lemon juice then process or blend soup, in small batches, in a food processor or blender until smooth. Return soup to pan and reheat over medium heat. Serve topped with coriander sprigs and soup sprinkles.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.