- 1.5 kg about 5 medium fresh beetroot
- 3 brown onions finely chopped
- 3 Granny Smith apples peeled, cored, finely chopped
- 500 ml 2 cups balsamic vinegar
- 80 ml 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 550 g 21/2 cups raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large fresh rosemary sprigs
Preheat oven to 200°C. Wrap each beetroot bulb in foil. Place in a baking dish. Bake in oven for 1 hour. Set aside to cool slightly. Using disposable gloves to avoid staining your hands, remove the skins and discard. Trim the root and stem ends. Finely chop the beetroot.
Place beetroot, onion, apple, vinegar, orange juice, sugar and cloves in a large heavy-based saucepan over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Add the rosemary. Reduce heat to medium. Simmer for 1 hour or until the mixture thickens slightly.
Remove the rosemary and discard. Spoon the hot chutney into sterilised jars. Seal and invert for 2 minutes.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.