GREEN TOMATO & CHILLI CHUTNEY
Autumn is the most vibrant season of the year with the full spectrum of orange, browns, yellows and reds shining out from the hedgerows and fields.
- 1.6 kg green tomatoes diced
- 400 g Bramley cooking applies diced
- 600 g red or white onions or scallions diced
- 1-3 red chilli peppers to taste
- 4 cloves garlic
- 500 ml cider vinegar
- 2.5 cm piece root ginger finely chopped or grated
- 160 g sultanas
- 400 g soft brown suga
Add all the ingredients to a large stainless steel saucepan, bring to the boil then simmer for around an hour or two or until liquid has a firmer consistency and isn’t as runny and the ingredients resemble a chunky chutney.
Empty into freshly sterilised jars and seal whilst the ingredients are hot. Leave for around three weeks to allow the flavours to blend and settle before serving.
Chutney makes a delicious accompaniment to cheese and freshly baked bread.