SPECIAL MINCEMEAT (Mary Berry)
I prefer the flavour of butter to suet in mincemeat – which makes it suitable for vegetarians – but use suet if you wish. The butter makes the mincemeat look slightly cloudy in the jar but this disappears once the mincemeat is cooked in mince pies, etc.
- 175 g currants
- 175 g raisins
- 175 g sultanas
- 175 g dried cranberries
- 100 g mixed peel
- 1 small cooking apple peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 125 g butter cut into cubes
- 50 g whole blanched almonds roughly chopped
- 225 g light muscovado sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 200 ml brandy rum or sherry
Measure all of the ingredients except the alcohol into a large pan. Heat gently, allowing the butter to melt, then simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes.
Allow the mixture to cool completely then stir in the brandy, rum or sherry.
Spoon the mincemeat into sterilised jam jars, seal tightly, label and store in a cool place.