Marrow, Chilli and Ginger Soup
Write a review
- A medium sized marrow, seeds removed and cut into small chunks
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 1 – 2 tbsp oil
- 1 red chilli – seeds removed if desired – sliced
- 1 tsp cumin
- A piece of fresh ginger (about 3 cm), peeled and finely chopped
- 700 ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp red lentils
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the chilli, cumin and ginger. Stir well.
- Add the marrow and onion, and stir again to coat everything in the oil.
- Leave for a few minutes until sizzling hot, then turn the heat down to medium-low, cover and leave to cook gently for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the stock and lentils and simmer for another 20-25 minutes, until the lentils are fully cooked.
- Leave to cool slightly, and then process until really smooth, using a food processor or hand blender. Add salt (if needed) and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Serve piping hot in warm bowls (re-heat if necessary). If you fancy, you can add some chilli slices, or drizzle over some chilli oil.