Tomato and Chilli Chutney
A remake on another recipe, this has a slight kick, for the type of person that would not buy items that contains stack loads of chilli's. Good with ham and cheese and biscuits for a carpet picnic in front of your favourite TV show.
- 500 g red onions finely sliced
- 1 kg fresh tomatoes chopped
- 6 garlic cloves finely sliced
- 8 - 12 fresh red chilli's roughly chopped
- a thumb-size piece of ginger peeled and chopped
- 250 g brown sugar
- 150 ml red wine vinegar
- 10 cardamom seeds
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 medium sized red peppers
- 3 medium sized green peppers
Place all of your ingredients into a large, heavy-based pan and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally.
Simmer for 1 hour.
Using a handheld blender, blend all of the ingredients, but not so much that it becomes a puree.
After simmering, bring to a gentle boil so that the mixture turns dark, jammy and shiny.
Place into sterilized jars .